Interlibrary Loan is a special service the Central Arkansas Library System provides to its patrons. We borrow materials for short-term use from other public, university, and special libraries from across the United States. Because these materials belong to another library we have special restrictions and deadlines that must be adhered to by CALS patrons.
Items requested through interlibrary loan usually arrive at CALS in 2 to 4 weeks depending upon the type of material requested. Some specialized materials may take even longer. Please take into consideration these time constraints when placing your requests.
Click here to request a book through Interlibrary Loan »
Interlibrary Loan Requirements / Limits
- You must have a valid CALS library card with current personal information and no excessive fines.
- You may submit and have up to 5 active requests at a time. Be sure to consider that all materials could come in at once.
- We will not borrow a book that is either owned by or on order for any CALS library. This includes Reference and Special Collection Materials. Items that have been marked "BILLED" in our catalog system or that are excessively overdue may be requested.
- We will not order any item published within the previous four months.
- "In Library Use Only" materials, such as microfilm or anything declared to be REFERENCE or SPECIAL COLLECTION by the lending library, must be used at the Main Library.
- You are allowed at least 2 weeks use for any ILL item. Your due date is determined by the lending library, not by CALS. One renewal may be possible, depending on the lending library's policies. If you'd like to request a renewal, contact the Interlibrary Loan office at least 2 business days before the due date.
- If you do not pick up the material we have obtained for you within seven days of being notified that it is available for pick up, it will be returned to the lending library and your account will be charged $2.00.
- Late fees for Interlibrary Loan items are $1.00 per day with a limit of $60.00. Any fees incurred for ILL books will prohibit your checking out materials from any CALS library until the fees are paid. If an ILL item is lost or needs to be replaced, the lending library will determine the replacement cost for the lost material. This cost will be passed on to your account.