Rules of Conduct
The Central Arkansas Library System is a public institution that is open to the public for reading, studying, and using library materials and meeting facilities. CALS encourages patrons to exercise rights that are consistent with these purposes to ensure that the public is allowed to pursue those purposes without encountering unreasonable nuisances in its facilities. Failure to follow the rules of conduct will result in disciplinary action being taken.
Action may range from verbal warning to being permanently barred from CALS facilities. Some offenses may be prosecuted under appropriate statutes, ordinances, etc.
- Limit the length and noise level of all conversations, including cell phone conversations, as to not disturb others.
- Do not harass, annoy, or interrupt the work or study of other patrons or staff.
- Shoes, trousers, outer shorts, skirts, blouses, shirts, etc. must be worn at all times.
- Clothing must be zipped, buttoned, or fastened to avoid indecent exposure.
- Personal hygiene must conform to the generally accepted standard of the community, and shall not be so offensive as to disturb others.
- No single suitcase, bag, briefcase, box, or similar carrying device larger than 18" x 10" can be carried into the library. This may be waived if it is demonstrated that it carries materials for reading, study, or research.
- Any carrying device may be searched when the person leaves the building.
- The police department will be called if children under 12 years of age are left unattended in front of the building prior to regular opening time or have not been picked up by 15 minutes after closing time.
- Do not park in spaces marked "Staff Only" without specific permission from CALS staff.
- Do not engage in fighting or using abusive language.
- Do not deface or mutilate any library property.
- Eating or drinking is not allowed in the library except in designated areas.
- Use of all tobacco products is prohibited on CALS property, except for in designated smoking areas.
- Sleeping is not permitted in the library.
- No animals, except service animals, are allowed in the library.
- Public restrooms will not be used for bathing, shaving, or changing clothes.
- Persons may not urinate or defecate anywhere on the premises, except in public restrooms.
- No weapons are allowed in the library.
- Non-library approved solicitation in any form is forbidden.
- Littering within the building or on the grounds is forbidden.
- Library computer users must sign in and agree to the Rules and Responsibilities for Public Computer and Internet Use.